The school will make every effort to remain open whenever possible, however the decision to close the school will be made by the Head of School and will only be closed if one or more of the following conditions apply:
- Insufficient staff are able to come in to keep the school running safely.
- Conditions on site are dangerous.
- Conditions are considered to be or are anticipated to later become too hazardous to travel.
2 In the Event of Heavy Snow Before the School Day Starts
- When school closure is decided before school is open, a TEXT message and email will be sent to the main mobile number held by school.
- If it is decided that the school will open, but the road conditions are difficult, parents should ring the school to advise that they are likely to be late.
- If parents assume that the school is closed, but it is actually open, the absence will be recorded as unauthorised unless the Head of School is satisfied that there are exceptional circumstances.
- The Head of School will decide whether the school will open taking into account the conditions at the school and the ability of staff to get there.
- If the Head of School decides that schools will close, she will update the school website accordingly and send a TEXT message to staff and parents advising them of the closure.
- The school fully appreciates that in bad weather children may arrive later than usual.
- The School recognises that there may be cases where families are “cut off” due to particular difficulties in the area in which they live.
- In such cases parents should advise the Head of School of their particular circumstances so she can notify the Local Authority and justify the authorisation of the absence.
3 In the event of heavy snowfall during the school day
- If there is heavy snowfall during the school day, the Head of School will decided whether it is necessary to close the school.
- The Office will contact parents and ask that they pick their child/children up from school as soon as possible or contact School Transport at Northumberland County Council to arrange for the taxis to do an early pick up.
- If conditions permit, the School mini bus will take those pupils back to Morpeth train station where they can be collected by taxis/parents. The office will notify parents and school transport of this.
- The staff that live furthest from the school will be permitted to leave at the earliest opportunity.
- A skeleton staff will remain in school until all of the children have been collected.
- If a parent rings requesting they pick their child up early due to the weather, and the decision has not been made to close the school, these requests will b considered on an individual basis by the Head of School.
Please listen to the Breakfast show on BBC Radio Newcastle for School Closure Announcements